Stay up-to-date on the latest firm, tax, and regulatory updates by joining our newsletter!
Many Tax-Related Limits Affecting Businesses Increase For 2019
A variety of tax-related limits affecting businesses are annually indexed for inflation, and many have gone up for 2019. Here’s a look at some that may affect you and your business.
- Section 179 expensing:
- Limit: $1.02 million (up from $1 million)
- Phaseout: $2.55 million (up from $2.5 million)
- Income-based phase-ins for certain limits on the Sec. 199A qualified business income deduction:
- Married filing jointly: $321,400-$421,400 (up from $315,000-$415,000)
- Married filing separately: $160,725-$210,725 (up from $157,500-$207,500)
- Other filers: $160,700-$210,700 (up from $157,500-$207,500)
- Employee contributions to 401(k) plans: $19,000 (up from $18,500)
- Catch-up contributions to 401(k) plans: $6,000 (no change)
- Employee contributions to SIMPLEs: $13,000 (up from $12,500)
- Catch-up contributions to SIMPLEs: $3,000 (no change)
- Combined employer/employee contributions to defined contribution plans (not including catch-ups): $56,000 (up from $55,000)
- Maximum compensation used to determine contributions: $280,000 (up from $275,000)
- Annual benefit for defined benefit plans: $225,000 (up from $220,000)
- Compensation defining “highly compensated employee”: $125,000 (up from $120,000)
- Compensation defining “key employee”: $180,000 (up from $175,000)
Other employee benefits
- Qualified transportation fringe-benefits employee income exclusion: $265 per month (up from $260)
- Health Savings Account contributions:
- Individual coverage: $3,500 (up from $3,450)
- Family coverage: $7,000 (up from $6,900)
- Catch-up contribution: $1,000 (no change)
- Flexible Spending Account contributions:
- Health care: $2,700 (up from $2,650)
- Dependent care: $5,000 (no change)
Additional rules apply to these limits, and they are only some of the limits that may affect your business. Please contact us for more information.
Our Latest Insights
Please SUBSCRIBE to our newsletter and you’ll receive practical, actionable updates on a regular basis.