Employer W-2/1099-MISC Deadline Earlier for Tax Year 2016
Dear Valued Client:
In an effort to reduce fraud, the filing deadlines have changed for employer copies of Forms W-2/1099-MISC. Starting in tax year 2016, the deadline for filing Forms W-2 to the Social Security Administration and 1099-MISC to the Internal Revenue Service will be January 31 of the following year, rather than February 28 as it was in the past. This new deadline is for all employer W-2/1099-MISC returns, both electronic and paper returns. If you require our assistance to prepare the forms, please provide the information as soon as possible after December 31, 2016 in order to allow time for preparation.
The 2016 employer W-2/1099-MISC (Red Copies) filing deadline is Tuesday, January 31, 2017.
The following filing deadlines are not changing for the 2016 tax year:
You must distribute Forms W-2/1099-MISC to employees by January 31, 2017.
You will need to report any fringe benefits, like personal use of a company car or group-term life benefits, to your payroll service by Friday, December 30, 2016. You will also need to report third-party sick pay benefits by this date.
If you can’t meet this deadline, the information won’t be included on the original W-2s/1099-MISCs we file with the agency. If you have any questions, please contact us.
Our Latest Insights
Please SUBSCRIBE to our newsletter and you’ll receive practical, actionable updates on a regular basis.
- Tax Deduction for Moving Costs: 2017 vs. 2018
- Tax Credit For Hiring From Certain “Target Groups” Can Provide Substantial Tax Savings
- Use Benchmarking to Swim With the Big Fish
- Families With College Students May Save Tax on Their 2017 Returns With One of These Breaks
- Small Business Owners: A SEP May Give You One Last 2017 Tax and Retirement Saving Opportunity